Those days I’m working on Reels, at least one for the moment, a matchmove one. So far I’m putting together some pieces I did at my Fxphd’s classes, and also some of my shoot.
This one I did with my Nikon D90 which is none for a rolling shutter issue (jelly video look) when shooting video.
so those were the challenge for this plate :
shoot from the back of a car on small road
To be honest, the hardest part were dealing with the Rolling Shutter, this one is a real b**** ! it doesn’t show to much on the video, but when you look closer the image keep getting distort all the time which give a high error to the tracking data. Plus on top of that you have fast movements which give the “debug tracker” part a real nightmare. It’s not perfect, but I do think it’s looking very well.
you can watch the result in HD on the vimeo website
Part of the shot I did track for my reel.
The particularity of this one, is the hand held kind of shot with the “Rolling shutter” issue of the D90.
It looks easy with all the features but it was a really informative one to track. I learned a lot with this shot, like do not try to get it perfect! at some point, I got a lower error (right now it’s 0.8hpix) about 0.4, but it wasn’t looking as good as this one. I guess it good be much better at some point but so far I think it works pretty well right now.
It has been track with Syntheyes, Blender for the 3d grid, and After FX for the compo/roto
This class (which was teach by Gareth Edwards)was really amazing, I highly recommend it !! I didn’t learn so much about AfterFX but mostly about how to get the job done in a small amount of time, and this goes through “organization” !! Keeping your workflow as clean as possible, taking time to renaming everything (cuz god it could get really messy in AE),…
My result is far from being perfect, I can see so many things I could change (the way they are running, the dust, the lighting, the shadows, … ). but so far, I think it’s quite good and I have so much other things to do that I cannot work any more on this piece! I’ll probably make a small “making of” video later on, just to show all the passes (shadows, AO, Dust, lighting,..) were done in After Effects, only the 3D tracking was done with Syntheyes, but so far it was a super easy one !
What I learned with this project :
Many AE tricks : can’t tell all of them, but I definitely think I’m more efficient now with AE. I’ve done many mistake and encounter many problems that did teach me a lot 🙂
Organization : I won’t say it enough, it might sounds silly but when you look at all the job that Gareth has done on “Heroes and Villains: Attila the Hun” (VFX breakdown here) in such a small amount of time, you have to say he had a pretty good workflow. So far that’s the reason I took this class and I don’t regret it
Faking : That’s mostly what I like in compositing, is that you can fake so many thing which usually with a good amout of blur you won’t see the trick 😉 . But even with that, we usually go for the hard way (3d, particle system, IA, ..). As I said, the result is far to be perfect, but I guess you have to keep in mind that the quality of your work could depends of the target you have and of course the budget (cf the production triangle). In this case the target is TV Shows, so I guess it should be “Fast” and probably “Cheap”, which leave “Good” a bit behind. Of course it should be as good as possible and that’s why I think knowing how far you can go with faking is a really good thing, and so far that’s also something I did understand more in this class.